Sunday, September 9, 2007

Loan Shark

I was so utterly confounded and enthralled by the Rodarte show. At some points (meaning about half of the show) I felt like I had seen these looks before, in a strange, strange way. They mixed Lanvin's SS07 (tulle and silk cocktail dresses with strappy necklines and pleating, as well as slicked-back hair), Balenciaga from like 3 years ago (lace and skinny pants with metallics) and Chanel (one bizarre tweed suit and some frothy white dresses) into a revolting but kind of likable array of dresses and separates. And yet there were other looks, mainly dresses, that were beautiful, ethereal, and worthy of the most divine of fairies and princesses. I felt as if I had seen it all before, and I'm completely ambivalent toward it. I honestly don't know what to make of this show.
The influences:








The results:







Pictures from Style.com

2 comments:

AVA said...

I absolutely love the top in the fifth picture from the top. amazing.

Evie Stothert said...

I think i'm going to have to agree with you, i was extremely disappointed with the Rodarte show, and its usually one of my favourites.
It wasn't that i disliked the show, i just didn't like it either. I think bog-standard would be the best word to describe the show, which is unusual considering because i'd usually describe a Rodarte show as brilliant.

www.eves-fashion.blogspot.com x