Saturday, December 30, 2006

The music's loud...

The New Year's Eve party is a tradition for almost everyone around the world, and it's a fun excuse to get dressed up. Of course, most of us won't be wearing $3000 Matthew Williamson gowns, but it's nice to fantasize. For New Year's, everyone and their mother will be wearing something metallic or something velvet. I suggest you go ahead of the curve by either working the minimalist look, or going the romantic route -- both big trends for spring.

For the minimalist look, start out with a solid-colored, modern, cleanly cut dress. I like ones by Mary Ping, Dolce Gabanna, Grey Ant, Narciso Rodriguez, or 3.1 Philip Lim. To balance out the simple beauty of the dresses, add more intricate and eye-catching accessories, like shoes from Terry de Havilland, Pedro Garcia, Yves Saint Laurent, Marc Jacobs, Lanvin, or Pierre Hardy. A rich-looking and exotic evening bag, like Bottega Veneta's or Nancy Gonzalez's always works, but younger girls can pull off a larger bag, such as Zac Posen's or De Couture's -- just as long as it's worn with a shorter dress. Finish off the look with delicate jewelry and simple hair and makeup, maybe with one standout feature, like a smokey eye or dark lip.

As for romanticism, a dramatic, opulent, embellished, or just plain feminine dress is key. Alexander McQueen, Givenchy, Matthew Williamson, Isili, and Ann Valerie Hash all make excellent ones. Add in simple accessories, like a Bottega Veneta clutch, a Nancy Gonzalez clutch, Louboutin pumps, Jean-Michel Cazabat d'Orsay heels, an Ann Demeulemeester clutch, Pierre Hardy pumps, or maybe even Alaia flats. Girlish but easy makeup and minimal jewelry finishes off the look.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee have a stylish new year, princess!
(psh. I'm late. Whatever)
I really like your article. Totally the opposite of mine, I wanted it to be kitsssch, minimalistic is sure wonderful aswell but it's not for me.
What did you wear?

E said...

I was boring and low-key. Grey cord Notify skinnies, grey V&R for H&M arrow sweatshirt, red eelskin pumps, and my hair all back in a ponytail with a nude silk and crystal headband. What'd you wear?

Bojana said...

Nooo not boring, that sounds lovely. Love the sound of that headband. I wore a trashy, tacky strapless golden dress with gold glitter tights and gold flats. Yeah, I obviously went for gold. The dress kept falling off as it was strapless and I don't have much tits, but apart from that it was okay.
But now I wish I wore something more pulled-together and classy but well that will be for next year

E said...

Wow. I neeeeed to see pictures.